Is your computer K¹² ready?
K12 has several online components built into its lessons and tools. To use K12's program, you'll need a computer with an Internet connection and free software programs, which you can download from the Internet.
The minimum hardware recommendations for computers with a WINDOWS operating system:
- CPU: Intel 1.8 GHz or faster processor (or equivalent)
- Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 10.0 versions or higher, Chrome 17.0 or higher
- RAM: 1GB of RAM
The minimum hardware recommendations for computers with a MAC operating system:
- CPU: PowerPC G4 1 GHz or faster processor; Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz or faster processor
- Browser: Firefox 10.0 versions or higher, Chrome 17.0 or higher (Safari is not supported!)
- RAM: 1GB of RAM
The free software below is for both a Windows or Mac computer unless noted:
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher (click here)
- Java Runtime Environment (click here)
- Mozilla Firefox 10.0 versions or higher (click here)
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher (Windows only) (click here)
- Google Chrome 17.0 or higher (click here)
- Adobe Reader 8 or later (click here)
- Apple QuickTime (click here)
Important! Users are reporting issues with Firefox 23 when in the eCollege LMS. The most common issue is receiving a blank page when clicking various tools and/or content items in the course. For now, please use a different browser or an older version of Firefox when accessing courses on the eCollege platform.
It is highly recommended that a broadband connection be used instead of dial up.
Please note the following if you are using a dial-up connection:
- ALL web acceleration software must be disabled for the school to work properly.
- If you are using NetZero, the 3G or Hi-Speed version of the NetZero software is not able to be used consistently with the Online School. The basic version of the NetZero Software should installed.
- If you are using AOL you must minimize AOL after Connecting and use an approved browser
- If you are using MSN, you cannot use MSN Explorer consistently
- You MUST meet the minimum speed of 56kbps
- Pop-up Blockers can affect your ability to access the Online School
- Internet Security Products, such as Norton, can inhibit your online experience
- Software firewalls installed on your PC often will cause accessibility problems
- Firewalls must have port 8080 open to both TCP and UDP traffic to allow access to the OLS
- Touchscreens and Wacom tablets can interfere with accessing links in the Online School - pease see the manufacturer's support site for instructions on how to configure these devices to work consistently with Flash Player
The amount of data transferred over your Internet connection each month depends on the student's enrolled course(s) - please contact your ISP provider if you have concerns